Thursday, May 24, 2012

Looks like I'm starting a blog

I've been meaning to get a blog for a really long time now, so here it is. I'll be posting pictures (and maybe descriptions) of my artistic output, which will hopefully flow out of me in chunks once I get this website going. Excited? Excited for the chunks? I know I am. 

On the subject of output, a month or two ago I bought my very first camera, a Canon Rebel XT, and we have become super close buddies. I got a few snerks from photographer friends ("It cost less than a thousand dollars!" "The lens isn't powerful enough to zoom in on moon rocks!" etc), but it does what I bought it to do, which is take pictures, and I love it. 

I have a decent amount of experience in Photoshop - I used to do a lot of digital painting and drawing, and I edited some photos very poorly based on tutorials while wondering what on earth "soft light" meant as a layer property. I'm not really interested in taking pictures that are senior portrait-esque, crystal clear, sparkly - you know, like of babies in a fountain and you can see all the water droplets.... It's cool when well done, but my painting background has me wanting to paint with a camera. If that means distorting photos, editing the everloving crap out of them, etc, I guess that's what that means. I've had fun so far, I'm excited to take more.

Here's one:







No comments:

Post a Comment